How to Spot Water Damage
How to Spot Water Damage
Sometimes, water damage can be easy to notice, while other times it’s more insidious. It’s easy to see standing water from a burst pipe, but water damage that is hidden could be doing some serious damage to your home if it is not detected and repaired in a timely manner. Here, we explain some signs of water damage, along with steps you can take to protect your property.
- Your floor may tell the story of water intrusion. If there’s dampness in your carpet, or if your tile or wood floors are cracked, buckling, or warped, water damage could be the cause. If you notice water on your floor that returns after you clean it up, you may have seepage or a leak.
- If you notice a musty smell, check for water. Sometimes, you can just smell the dampness. A damp, musty, or moldy smell means trouble, because it indicates the presence of excessive moisture.
- If your home has water damage, mold can sometimes be the result. Stay vigilant for signs of mold, which can lead to secondary damage and compromise the structure of your home. Rust, too, can result in a leak if not caught early. By keeping your eyes peeled for signs of mold and rust, you can stop water damage before it becomes a major issue.
- On the ceiling, water damage leaves telltale marks. These discolorations can also occur around the bathtub, toilet or sink, or on the walls, and they’re some of the most obvious signs of water damage. Ceiling stains should be inspected immediately because they might indicate an undetected leak in the roof or walls. While you’re at it, pay attention to the corners, especially where the walls meet the ceiling or floors. Discoloration in those areas can also indicate a leak.
- Your walls can manifest water damage in different ways. Maybe the paint is peeling, or the drywall is cracked. If you see these signs or areas that seem swollen or soft, have a leak detection company inspect for leaks as soon as possible. A SERVPRO Technician can also take moisture readings in areas of concern and check for active leaks.
- Sometimes, water damage may be happening outside of your line of sight. If you hear running water and you don’t have a tap turned on, it may be running somewhere it shouldn’t. If your water bill suddenly and unexpectedly goes through the roof, you probably have a hidden leak that could be causing damage.
If your home has suffered water damage, call the experts at SERVPRO of Mandarin for help. Our highly-trained restoration technicians have the experience and equipment to restore your North Florida area property and get everything back to normal. A trusted leader in the water damage restoration industry, we’ve served our community for more than 40 years. Call (904) 636-0044.