Water Can Damage Your Home's Value
Water damage is an experience you don't want to deal with; whether from a broken water pipe, busted hot water heater, leaking dishwasher, broken ice maker line, washing machine overflowing, torrential rain, flooding, or sewage backup. They all likely lead to the same result: Water Damage.
Water Damage can wreak havoc on your home if proper removal and drying isn't a priority when it's discovered. While you likely know the importance of proper water mitigation following a loss, there’s still a lot that may surprise you. Here are some essentials you should know about Water Damage Remediation:
- The more polluted the water, the worse your situation. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) classifies water into three categories in its S500 Standard: Category 1 is generally sanitary water, Category 2 is significantly contaminated water, and Category 3 is grossly contaminated water. The category of water on any loss will dictate how it's restored as well as how much can be salvaged.
- Mold can begin to grow within 48 to 72 hours. All mold needs to thrive are spores, an organic food source (i.e. wood, drywall, etc.), the right temperature (i.e. high humidity) and moisture.
- Fast action is crucial. Whether you're experiencing residential or commercial water damage, to begin processing an insurance claim, your agent needs to know about the situation immediately. They need to know what happened, how it happened, the source of the water, etc. The longer you wait, the worse the situation gets, and the less likely your Insurance Company will be to provide coverage.
Emergency Water Damage Restoration Services
It’s also worth emphasizing how important quick response time is, and that's where SERVPRO of Mandarin can help you in your time of need. SERVPRO IICRC Certified Technicians will arrive on-site within 1-2 hours of receiving your call and get to work. SERVPRO Technicians first inspect the property for safety concerns, develop a structural drying plan, extract water, set up the appropriate equipment to dry affected areas, etc. Our Technicians use industry-proven water mitigation and drying techniques to efficiently remove moisture from deep within the floor, walls and even hard-to-reach areas of the home. It's this fast response time, proven water damage mitigation techniques, and cutting edge equipment that helps result in lower repair costs and/or limited contents damage.
Call SERVPRO of Mandarin anytime 24/7 at 904-636-0044, to report a Water Damage claim, and we'll provide a quote before we begin work.
We Can Dry You Out
After water intrusion changes your life the next step is to get dry. Getting dry is our number one goal. After a flood and water damage getting dried out is a number one priority to minimize dangerous after effects. Did you know that there is a science behind the drying process?
Having the knowledge of physics metrics is essential to restoring a water damaged structure to its preloss condition. While your initial reaction may be to run for the towels and grab a few fans. SERVPRO of Mandarin Professionals are trained in the science of drying and follow strict industry-approved standards. If your business suffers from water damage, our Jacksonville SERVPRO Professionals will:
Inspect the building to detect every component that is wet, to help prevent secondary damage from happening.
Measure how much moisture is in the wet materials and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
Speed up mother nature by using professional drying equipment. A wet building will always seek equilibrium and try to dry naturally. When materials are wet moisture will naturally move to drier air. The problem is nature takes too long and secondary damage like mold can occur while you are waiting for your professional building to dry. We use state of the art monitoring equipment and a proven drying process to speed up the drying time in your business.
SERVPRO - A History of Trust and Professionalism
Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO Industries, Inc. Franchise System is a national leader in fire, water, mold, and commercial and residential cleanup and restoration services. SERVPRO's professional network of over 1,700 franchises has responded to property damage emergencies ranging from multi-million dollar disasters such as the Pentagon after 9/11, to those suffered by individual businesses and homes. Providing coverage nationally, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals work with major insurance companies and commercial clients nationwide.
The local franchise SERVPRO of Mandarin has been doing business in Northeast Florida since 1981. Call us today for a quote on commercial and residential remediation and cleaning services, 904-636-0044. Let our team help make your fire, water, mold, bio-hazard, storm, flood, or vandalism damage "Like it never even happened."
Getting Your Business Back Up and Running
Commercial water damage restoration not only restores a building. It restores jobs and income to the people employed there, products or services to customers, and a healthy environment for everyone who utilizes the structure. If it’s not done right, or on time, the ultimate result can be the closing of a facility, relocation elsewhere, and severe impact on a private business or public organization’s bottom line. Because the scope of water damage in commercial settings is frequently wider and more extreme than in a residential scenario, water damage remediation specialists with experience specific to commercial buildings are positioned to provide effective emergency service when the need arises.
Here’s a typical protocol utilized in commercial water damage restoration:
- All areas contacted with water are inventoried, including affected building materials and furniture. Any wet carpet must be located and identified.
- Wet ceiling tiles may be removed and discarded after the event. Ceiling tiles usually are not salvageable.
- A moisture meter should be utilized to check for water-damaged drywall. Disinfection and mold control techniques may need to be initiated.
- Wet electrical components are assumed to be hazardous. A qualified maintenance technician or electrician should cut off power to affected areas. Inspection by a building inspector or electrician is required to determine the need to replace wet wiring, circuit breakers, outlets, and light fixtures.
- Upholstered furniture wet by floodwater, roof leaks, or sewage should be discarded. Furniture contacted by drinking water can be air-dried if done within 24 hours. Laminate or hardwood furniture can be cleaned with a disinfectant solution and reused; particle board furniture may be discarded.
- Carpet contaminated by sewage must be disposed of. Carpet wet by drinking water or rainwater through roof leaks may have the water extracted and then be sterilized.
The Water Damage Process
Crew Chief, Brian, extracts water from the carpet of an office building in Downtown Jacksonville.
A lot of people may only have one major water loss in their lifetime. We have a proven process that will make it easy for all of our clients, both commercial and residential.
- First hour: Within one hour of notification we will call and arrange for service. Help is on the way!
- The fourth hour: Within four hours of notification we will be on-site starting the mitigation process. With a quick response, it will save money and reduce the amount of damage done.
- Detailed explanation: A SERVPRO of mandarin Tech will explain the step-by-step process and the approximate time that it will take.
- Pretesting: This happens as we work from the source of the damage outward, pretesting for the ability to restore.
- The Eighth hour: Within eight hours we will have a full scope of service and communicate this to all materially interested parties.
- Cleaning & Restoration: We will work diligently to restore and get your property back to a preloss condition and taken care of correctly the first time.
- Final walk-through: Once all work is complete we will walk through with you to make sure you are satisfied.
Why Plan For a Disaster
Call SERVPRO of Mandarin professionals today to help get your business prepared for whatever happens, 904-636-0044.
If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.
Nobody wants to be in a disaster, but when you find yourself in a storm, standing in water, or at the start or aftermath of a fire it is a great feeling to know we have your back.
The latest research has shown that 50% of businesses close following a disaster. The ones that pull through and make it have a pre-planned procedure in place. Are you ready?
Our Emergency Ready Plan (ERP) will help your business. By developing an ERP it will minimize interruption in your business and provide a quick reference guide to the critical information specific to your building such as key shut-offs for water and electricity. We will also have pictures of where your fire extinguishers are located. The owner, property managers, and top vendors are listed in the ERP which allows you to get in contact with the right people to get your business back on its feet and running.
- this is at no cost to you.
- concise and critical information
- quick guide enabling you to bounce back from a disaster
- identify a chain of command and how to get work started
- key shut-offs in emergency
- establishes SERVPRO of Mandarin as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider
The Right Detection Equipment for the Job
SERVPRO of Mandarin Technicians use Moisture Meters to Detect Moisture Content Leaking from Ductwork.
SERVPRO of Mandarin knows the biggest difference we can make is in our equipment. It is measurable and reduces the loss on a claim report. The right tools do make a big difference, but it also helps when the SERVPRO of Mandarin's trained professionals are on the job fast with the right knowledge to properly dry and save your assets.
It starts with Psychrometrics, Which is the study of air and its properties. The properties of air include temperature, humidity, vapor pressure, and dew point.
We can measure these through:
- Moisture meters are used to determine the actual moisture in the contents of the materials that may be wet.
- Moisture sensors are able to detect moisture in carpets, walls, and baseboards.
- Thermohygrometers measure both the temperature and relative humidity.
Once all of this data is collected, the SERVPRO of Mandarin Tech will be able to determine the humidity, dew point, and vapor pressure. That will enhance the direction and equipment used to start the drying process.
Facts About Tornadoes
Tornadoes cause widespread damage throughout the United States, especially in the southeast and Southern Plains. But how much do know about their destructive forces that tear through our homes and businesses?
Here are a couple of quick facts about tornadoes:
- The average tornado travels Southwest to Northeast but has been known to move in any direction.
- T. Theodore Fujita devised the F0-F5 Scale for tornadoes in 1971.
- Tornadoes are most likely to occur between 3 pm and 9 pm but can occur at any time.
- In 2006 the National Weather Service unveiled the Enhanced Fujita Scale (EF Scale).
- The USA averages around 1,200 tornadoes every year, more than any other country.
- A tornado normally appears transparent until it picks dust and mud from the ground.
- In the southern hemisphere tornadoes usually, rotate in a clockwise direction. In the northern hemisphere tornadoes usually, rotate in a counterclockwise direction.
Signs of Danger
- Large hail
- Dark, green-tinted sky
- Low-lying rotating cloud
- Loud roar similar to a freight train
We are in the peak of storm season here in Florida and encourage everyone to be weather aware. Have a family plan in the event of a tornado warning. Know where your safe areas are wherever you are.
Have Storm Damage? Call SERVPRO of Mandarin, 904-636-0044.
Flood and Water Damage Restoration in Jacksonville
With knowledge and compassion, SERPVRO of Mandarin understands that a water emergency needs urgency and sensitivity SERVPRO of Mandarin answers your call 24/7 with an accurate assessment and easy to understand explanations of the restoration process. We identify the damage and explain the process. Thorough treatment and respect, SERVPRO of Mandarin uses state-of-the-science equipment for drying, dehumidifying, deodorizing, disinfecting water, and flood damage.
Our IICRC certified technicians use state of the art technology and equipment which offers superior drying based on the science of Psychometrics. This proven, scientific process measures the dryness of the walls, carpet, and other materials. These measurements are recorded in a log and help our technicians monitor the drying process of your property.
SERVPRO of Mandarin will monitor and mitigate water damage to your property. Don’t be flooded with worry and water! Don't wait, call SERVPRO of Mandarin immediately. When water is on the move, timing is most critical. We have served the communities of Jacksonville for almost 40 years. Call 904-636-0044 for water emergency service you can trust and depend on.
Water Damage in Your Insulation
There is a lot of confusion about insulation that’s been soaked or damaged by floodwaters or leaky plumbing. Is it still a good insulating material? Does it breed mold and mildew? Will it eventually damage other structures such as drywall or tile floors?
Mold In the Aftermath of Storm Damage
Mold is a big deal and its removal is critical. It can be spotted in a variety of ways. Sometimes it discolors your ceiling or walls, or it shows up as black spots on areas throughout the home, or as rot on damp wood. If the insulation is replaced or thoroughly dry, it can’t harbor mold. But it’s easy to be confused about whether water-damaged insulation is safe to keep in place. A qualified mitigation company can use certain tools, such as a moisture meter, to detect whether the insulation within a wall is wet. Homeowners may have to resort to opening a wall to visually inspect the damage.
Insulation Is Made of Various Materials
Insulation is not just a cashmere lining for your home. It comes in a variety of different materials and is installed in various ways.
For instance, there is fiberglass, cellulose, foam board, cotton, or spray foam. Each type of insulation must be treated differently after water damage. Some of these materials are organic and they make a fine breeding ground for mold.
There is also the risk of toxins in water-damaged insulation. Floodwaters can carry potential toxins that remain in the insulation after the water recedes. It’s the nature of insulation that it retains moisture for a long time after the flood is gone.
Assessing and repairing water damage should take priority for homeowners who’ve been hit by a flood or storm. It’s not just a matter of aesthetics, though the odors and discolored walls and wallpaper are certainly unpleasant; it’s important to your family’s health and safety that the insulation is handled by expert hands.
Is Insulation Worth Keeping?
We help the homeowner to analyze a multitude of issues concerning the repair, salvage, construction, disposal, insurance, and restoration. As for the question of replacement: Does water-damaged insulation necessarily need to be removed, with new materials installed throughout the home? This is not a question to be taken lightly. We can help you decide whether to remove and replace insulation after we’ve begun the job of assessing damage and drying out the entire structure.
Cleanup and restoration after water damage is a comprehensive job. It requires skills, tools, and experience in a variety of disciplines. Few companies have the resources like those of SERVPRO of Mandarin!