Winter Heating Hazards
50% of all residential heating related fires are reported during the months of December, January, and February.
Even in Florida, winter brings us shorter and colder days. Most of us like a comfortable and cozy room whether it be in the workplace or our homes. Did you know that heating equipment is the leading cause of home fire deaths? According to the National Fire Protection Association, $1 billion in property damage is due to heating equipment. Some of the common sources are fireplaces, wood burning stoves, and portable heaters.
Here are a few safety tips this winter.
- Keep anything flammable at least three feet away from any heating source
- keep yourself, children, and pets at a three foot radius away from any open fires or portable heaters
- Make sure all fireplaces have a metal screen in front of them and all ashes are cool before disposing
- Always turn off portable heaters when leaving a room or going to bed
- Always use the correct fuel for space heaters
- Ensure all chimneys are cleaned and inspected annually
- All heating equipment installation needs to be done by a professional
- Test all smoke alarms monthly
Why plan for a disaster?
If you fail to plan, you are planning to fail.
Nobody wants to be in a disaster, but when you find yourself in a storm, standing in water, and the start or aftermath of a fire it is a great feeling to know we have your back.
The latest research has shown that 50% of businesses close following a disaster. The ones that pull through and make it have a pre-planned procedure in place. Are you ready?Our Emergency Ready Plan (ERP) will help your business. By developing an ERP it will minimize interruption in your business and provide a quick reference guide to the critical information specific to your building such as key shut offs for water and electric. we will also have pictures of where your fire extinguishers are located. The owner, property managers, and top vendors are listed in the ERP which allows you to get in contact with the right people to get your business back on its feet and running.
- this is at no cost to you.
- concise and critical information
- quick guide enabling you to bounce back from a disaster
- identify chain of command and how to get work started
- key shut offs in emergency
- establishes SERVPRO of Mandarin as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider
Water Can Damage Your Home's Value
SERVPRO of Mandarin Technicians extract Category 3 flood water from a Jacksonville home near the Trout River.
Water damage is an experience you don't want to deal with; whether from a broken water pipe, busted hot water heater, leaking dishwasher, broken ice maker line, washing machine over flowing, torrential rain, flooding, or sewage backup. They all likely lead to the same result: Water Damage.
Water Damage can wreak havoc on your home if proper removal and drying isn't a priority when it's discovered. While you likely know the importance of proper water mitigation following a loss, there’s still a lot that may surprise you. Here are some essentials you should know about Water Damage Remediation:
- The more polluted the water, the worse your situation. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) classifies water into three categories in its S500 Standard: Category 1 is generally sanitary water, Category 2 is significantly contaminated water, and Category 3 is grossly contaminated water. The category of water on any loss will dictate how it's restored as well as how much can be salvaged.
- Mold can begin to grow within 48 to 72 hours. All mold needs to thrive are spores, an organic food source (i.e. wood, drywall, etc.), the right temperature (i.e. high humidity) and moisture.
- Fast action is crucial. Whether you're experiencing residential or commercial water damage, to begin processing an insurance claim, your agent needs to know about the situation immediately. They need to know what happened, how it happened, the source of the water, etc. The longer you wait, the worse the situation gets, and the less likely your Insurance Company will be to provide coverage.
Emergency Water Damage Restoration Services
It’s also worth emphasizing how important quick response time is; and that's where SERVPRO of Mandarin can help you in your time of need. SERVPRO IICRC Certified Technicians will arrive on site within 1-2 hours of receiving your call and get to work. SERVPRO Technicians first inspect the property for safety concerns, develop a structural drying plan, extract water, set up the appropriate equipment to dry affected areas, etc. Our Technicians use industry proven water mitigation and drying techniques to efficiently remove moisture from deep within the floor, walls and even hard-to-reach areas of the home. It's this fast response time, proven water damage mitigation techniques, and cutting edge equipment that help result in lower repair costs and/or limited contents damage.
Call SERVPRO of Mandarin anytime 24/7 at 904-636-0044, to report a Water Damage claim, and we'll provide a quote before we begin work.
After a Fire, What to Do...
Surveying the Damage After a Fire Can Be Tough, Let Us Help You Deal With Your Insurance Company, 904-636-0044.
Any fire can be devastating. The most important thing after a fire is the safety of your family and pets. Once everyone is safe an secure, it's time to work a plan for what to do after fire damages your home and property. SERVPRO of Mandarin has created this checklist of safety precaution and more to begin recovery after fire damage.
What to Do After a Fire
Call your insurance company immediately after a fire.Following ironing the details with your insurance company, contact SERVPRO of Mandarin so the fire damage cleanup process can begin quickly. Make sure to notify your mortgage company of the fire as well. If you're not sure that the home is structurally safe, have it inspected by a certified structural engineer or building inspector before going near.
- Take pictures of all exterior damage, noting broken windows or entrances that are no longer secure.
- Make arrangements to board-up broken windows and secure the property during the cleanup and restoration process.
- Shut off propane tank systems and make an appointment for it to be inspected for safety.
- Do not attempt to reconnect utilities on your own.
- Be aware that rodents, snakes, or other animals may have entered your home.
Inside the home:
- Don’t flip on electrical switches in any room with standing water from firefighting efforts.
- Don’t enter any room if you hear popping or see sparking.
- Turn off the power at the main electrical panel.
- Try not to touch anything covered with soot; it’s easy to transfer it to other areas of the home, making the cleaning process more difficult.
- Wear closed-toe shoes or boots, long sleeves, long pants and gloves to protect against soot and any other contaminants as you go through the home.
- Try to locate important papers and other documents that you’ll need.
- Handle burned money as little as possible. You can take its remains to a Regional Federal Reserve Bank for replacement.
- Begin taking inventory of the building damage and all damaged items.
- Begin saving receipts for any expenses incurred after the fire. These may be needed when filing insurance claims.
Fire Damage Cleanup and Remediation
Companies like SERVPRO of Mandarin have the expertise as well as the right products and equipment to safely and effectively clean and restore a home after a fire. Fire damage includes more than just items burned. There will be soot, smoke and water damage as well.
A professional cleaning team will assess the damage to flooring, drywall, cabinets, furniture and more before developing a plan for thorough cleanup. Additionally, mold growth may be a concern after rooms and items have been saturated with water during the fire-fighting efforts.
Items that may need to be cleaned for soot and smoke removal include but are not limited to:
- Flooring: hardwood, tile and vinyl
- Woodwork and other hard surfaces like counter tops and cabinetry
- Electronics and appliances
- Draperies, linens and clothing
- Books, artwork, papers and documents
After a fire, let SERVPRO of Mandarin tackle the tough jobs so you have peace of mind that your home will be cleaned and restored quickly, safely and correctly. Call us 24/7/365 at 904-636-0044 for any fire, smoke, or soot damage in your home or business.
Holiday parties are here! What can we do to make this easier for you? Hotels are getting a lot of extra traffic and if you are a residential owner, company is there for holiday parties and family visits.
A lot of sand and dirt will be tracked in over the holidays and if the Christmas/New Year party gets a little bigger or a lot of drinks are spilled, will you be cleaning it yourself?
Let SERVPRO of Mandarin come in so we can clean the carpets and take out the unwanted odors that are still lingering. Unfortunately, vandalism can happen whether it is in a hotel or a residential home. Don't worry, we do that kind of clean up as well. When we leave, it will look "Like it never even happened."
Happy holidays and a safe New Year from the team of SERVPRO of Mandarin.
The Right Detection Equipment for The job
SERVPRO knows the biggest difference we can make is in our equipment. It is measurable and reduces the loss on a claim report. The right tools do make a big difference, but it also helps when the SERVPRO of Mandarin's trained professionals are on the job fast with the right knowledge to properly dry and save your assets.
It starts with Psychrometrics, Which is the study of air and its properties. The properties of air include temperature, humidity, vapor pressure, and dew point.
We can measure these through:
- Moisture meters are used to determine the actual moisture in the contents of the materials that may be wet
- Moisture sensors are able to detect moisture in carpets, walls, and baseboards
- Thermohygrometers measure both the temperature and relative humidity.
Once all of this data is collected, the SERVPRO of Mandarin Tech will be able to determine the humidity, dew point, and vapor pressure. That will enhance the direction and equipment used to start the drying process.
The Water Damage Process
A lot of people may only have one major water loss in a lifetime. We have a proven process that will make it easy for all of our clients both commercial and residential.
- First hour: Within one hour of notification we will call and arrange for service. Help is on the way!
- The fourth hour: Within four hours of notification we will be on-site starting the mitigation process. With a quick response it will save money and reduce the amount of damage done.
- Detailed explanation: A SERVPRO of mandarin Tech will explain the step-by-step process and the approximate time that it will take.
- Pretesting: This happens as we work from the source of the damage outward, pretesting for restorability.
- The Eighth hour: Within eight hours we will have a full scope of service and communicate this to all materially interested parties.
- Cleaning & Restoration: We will work diligently to restore and get your property back to a preloss condition and taken care of correctly the first time.
- Final walk through: once all work is complete we will walk through with you to make sure you are satisfied.
SERVPRO -A History of Trust and Professionalism
Our large loss teams are ready to make it "Like it never even happened," no matter the size of the disaster.
Founded in 1967, the SERVPRO Industries, Inc. Franchise System is a national leader of fire, water, mold, and commercial and residential cleanup and restoration services. SERVPRO's professional network of over 1,700 franchises has responded to property damage emergencies ranging from multi-million dollar disasters such as the Pentagon after 9/11, to those suffered by individual businesses and homes. Providing coverage nationally, SERVPRO Franchise Professionals work with major insurance companies and commercial clients nationwide.
The local franchise SERVPRO of Mandarin has been doing business in Northeast Florida since 1981. Call us today for a quote on commercial and residential remediation and cleaning services, 904-636-0044. Let our team help make your fire, water, mold, bio-hazard, storm, flood, or vandalism damage "Like it never even happened."
Post-Flood Contamination Risks, Serious Hazards to Look Out For
Only Professionals Wearing Proper Protective Equipment (PPE) Should be Dealing With Contaminated Materials, Call SERVPRO of Mandarin, 904-636-0044.
While damage to a building after a flood is a given, flood contamination risks often come as a surprise to occupants of a building affected by water inundation. There’s more to worry about than just wet carpets, so keep flood contamination risks in mind when contemplating the clean-up of a flooded building.
First, consult with a qualified water damage remediation expert before re-entering a flood-damaged building to make sure other, more lethal threats such as live electricity and potential structural collapse have been mitigated.
Work under the assumption that any water you contact may be raw sewage or tainted by raw sewage.
- Wear protective clothing including, boots, gloves, eye protection and some sort of approved face mask to protect against respiratory illness.
- Wash your hands frequently while you’re in the home. Don’t eat or drink without thorough washing first.
- Don’t eat any food contacted by water during the flood. If you need water, use bottled water until the safety of the local drinking water has been verified.
- Clean and bandage any minor cuts or scrapes immediately before continuing any clean-up work.
Industrial chemicals that overflow during a flood, pesticides picked up by flood waters and gasoline and oil are all common contaminants that pose a threat after flood waters recede. Local toxic waste disposal sites inundated by a flood may also release dangerous substances into the water.
- Wear protective clothing, gloves, boots, eyewear and respiratory protection.
- Be alert to any symptoms of exposure to toxic chemicals, including headaches, dizziness, nausea, and skin rashes. Discontinue clean-up work and seek medical help immediately.
For a professional assessment of flood contamination risks and advice on how to protect yourself, contact the water damage experts at SERVPRO of Mandarin – 904-636-0044.
We Can Dry You Out
After water intrusion changes your life the next step is to get dry. Getting dry is our number one goal. After a flood and water damage getting dried out is a number one priority to minimize dangerous after effects. Did you know that there is a science behind the drying process?
Having the knowledge of physics metrics is essential to restoring a water damaged structure to its preloss condition. While your initial reaction may be to run for the towels and grab a few fans. SERVPRO of Mandarin Professionals are trained in the science of drying and follow strict industry approved standards. If your business suffers from water damage, our Jacksonville SERVPRO Professionals will:
Inspect the building to detect every component that is wet, to help prevent secondary damage from happening.
Measure how much moisture is in the wet materials and monitor whether the materials are drying properly.
Speed up mother nature by using professional drying equipment. A wet building will always seek equilibrium an try to dry naturally. When materials are wet moisture will naturally move to drier air. The problem is nature takes too long and secondary damage, like mold can occur while you are waiting for your professional building to dry. We use state of the art monitoring equipment and a proven drying process to speed up the drying time in your business.